Chief People Officer, VP of HR
As an organization whose mission is to translate science into global public health impact , working on vaccines and therapeutics, IAVI has a vaccine policy which states that subject to applicable law, we require all U.S. and Puerto Rico based employees to be vaccinated for COVID-19, unless they have an approved medical or religious exemption or accommodation. We are committed to supporting our employees during this process as we work to ensure a safe and healthy work environment.
Title: Chief People Officer (CPO)
Location: New York, NY
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer
IAVI’s greatest asset is its People – and to that end, we are seeking to expand our global Leadership Team with a Chief People Officer (CPO) who is an innovative team player, who is enthusiastic in driving our People function forward to attract, engage, develop, and retain top talent. Our perfect candidate is experienced in life sciences globally and in the US, is experienced across several areas within human resources, and who embodies IAVI’s core values of being mission driven, collaborative, innovative and holds themselves to the highest level of integrity.
If you are that person, consider applying and join a high-impact, ambitious and values-driven team in the inspiring mission of translating scientific discoveries into affordable, globally accessible public health solutions!!
Develop IAVI’s Talent vision and strategies, define annual objectives and key results, identify key systems and resources to enable IAVI’s talent vision.
- In partnership with other members of IAVI’s global Leadership Team, update IAVI’s Talent vision as necessary enabling continuous growth and evolution of the organization, and to attract, engage, develop, and retain top talent.
- Formulate key strategies and define annual organizational goals in the Talent area, including key results, timelines, resources needed, and supporting systems.
- Key sponsor of IAVI’s culture: in charge of updating key elements (values, policies), fostering cultural alignment across the Leadership Team, and ensuring that necessary mechanisms are in place to ensure IAVI maintains a common culture across its global footprint reflective of its values, in particular as the organization grows and evolves.
- Support IAVI’s Leadership Team in the strategic evolution of the organization of their areas of responsibility, being a thought partner in strategic organizational evolution, talent development, and succession planning.
- Ensure that IAVI has comprehensive approaches to employee engagement, culture, and retention by refining compensation and benefits, career paths, succession planning, and learning and development opportunities.
- Incorporate feedback and partner with IAVI’s Board of Directors’ Compensation Committee, ensuring appropriate reporting and review and approval of key decisions.
Ensure that IAVI’s HR team has an appropriate organizational structure, is well resourced, and key coordination mechanisms are in place to effectively support the organizational needs in all geographies where IAVI operates.
- Ensure that IAVI has HR operations, processes, data, systems, and resources (budget and staff) that enable our vision, in all key geographies where the organization operates.
- Clearly align interfaces across key human resources areas to enable high impact and drive efficiencies across the team, including coordination mechanisms between global centers of excellence and regional HR.
- Establish an effective mechanism by which the HR team partners across the organization with key business leaders supporting them in their objective and key results.
- Ensure that key interfaces with other areas (legal, finance) operate effectively and that IAVI is compliant with all global regulations.
- Partner with Finance in overseeing departmental budgets and headcount.
- Partner with IT on HRIS and related systems, protocols, capabilities, and upgrades.
- Partner with Legal to ensure compliance & to mitigate organizational risks.
Lead the global and regional HR teams and oversee US operations and Global Compensation.
The HR team is currently organized around 3 global areas (Development, Administration, Acquisition) and 4 Regions (United States, Africa, India, Europe).
- Inspire, coach, and manage the HR managers and leaders for each area, helping them to reach their highest potential. Ensure that each team leader has clear objectives and personal development plans.
- Oversee execution across the different areas, being a key thought partner for functional leaders in HRIS, Performance Management, Learning & Development, Talent Acquisition, Engagement, Benefits, Rewards, Immigration, Policies and Compliance.
- Oversee compensation practices and lead on the development of a compensation philosophy to ensure salary benchmarking and surveys are completed and updated on a regular basis.
- Oversee key HR elements for US-based personnel.
- Ensure compliance across all geographies with policies and regulations, including at the state and local level.
- Support and/or directly address internal personnel cases, in partnership with legal.
Ensure that the HR team is a key partner in fostering IAVI’s culture of empowered, engaged and diverse talent.
- Coach and counsel the Leadership Team in professional development for themselves and their teams to achieve improved performance and engagement, developing leadership bench strength capable of addressing the challenges of a highly dynamic and growing organization.
- Direct and manage HR Leaders ensuring they are equipped to counsel, coach, and guide managers and staff in addressing employee relations and performance.
- Sponsor IAVI’s Global Diversity and Inclusion Committee, ensuring leadership visibility and support for initiatives and strategy.
- Serve as a leader across the organization, driving culture, communicating key messages, and embodying core values.
- Establish a “People culture” that cultivates open dialogue between staff and HR, ensuring employees feel listened to and supported, and see HR as the place to go for any challenge that they might have.
Education and work Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required; Advanced degree or MBA preferred. Certifications in HR preferred (SPHR, GPHRm SHRM).
- Minimum of 15 years professional experience, including 10+ years of progressive HRBP experience is required.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience managing people and teams of various sizes in dispersed locations is required.
- Experience and expertise in 2 or more HR areas is required (ie. HR administration, Talent Development, Talent Acquisition, Organizational Design) with deep knowledge in Talent Development being highly desirable.
- Experience managing HR resources in the US is required.
- Experience in pharmaceutical and/or biotechnology, drug product development, life sciences, or related industry is required.
Qualifications and skills
- Experience building strong, highly skilled, and engaged workforce in evolving and advanced technical industries is required.
- Demonstrated success as a trusted HR Business Partner supporting senior leadership and executives.
- Experience in implementing and leading Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging initiatives.
- Experience utilizing HR data to develop HR key performance indicators to drive decision making and planning is required.
- Experience working on cross-functional topics that span HR, Legal and Finance, collaborating and ensuring input across relevant stakeholders.
- Experience managing or working on a global team, particularly Africa, India and Europe is highly preferred.
- Excellent communications skills - written, verbal and interpersonal - and an ability to tailor communication style to diverse audiences globally.
- Experience maximizing value of HRIS systems.
- Embodies IAVI Core Values – Mission-driven, Collaboration, Innovative Evolution and Integrity.
- A team-player, who is willing to roll up their sleeves to do the work and who is motivated and inspired by IAVI’s mission and staff.
- Innovative leader, able to challenge the status quo and to see the opportunities.
IAVI is a nonprofit scientific research organization dedicated to addressing urgent, unmet global health challenges including HIV and tuberculosis. Our mission is to translate scientific discoveries into affordable, globally accessible public health solutions. Through scientific and clinical research in Africa, India, Europe, and the U.S., IAVI is pioneering the development of biomedical innovations designed for broad global access. We develop vaccines and antibodies in and for the developing world and seek to accelerate their introduction in low-income countries. IAVI programs and partnerships are grounded in the regions of the world where the disease burden is the greatest, and our approach emphasizes sustainability. Our network of clinical research center partners in Africa and India helps strengthen in-country research capacity and supports the training and education of the next generation of scientists. The global impact of our science includes fundamental contributions to understanding the biology of HIV infection, which IAVI and others are applying toward advancing vaccine science and immunology. IAVI accelerates scientific discovery and development by fostering unique collaborations among academia, industry, local communities, governments, and funders to explore new and better ways to address public health threats that disproportionately affect people living in poverty. Our global reach, including a clinical research network in five countries in sub-Saharan Africa and in India, has allowed us to make fundamental contributions to understanding the epidemiology, transmission, virology, and immunology of HIV. This work played a key role in facilitating the design of promising HIV vaccine candidates, as well as the discovery of broadly neutralizing antibodies that are now being advanced as promising approaches for HIV prevention. Our integrated capabilities in vaccine and antibody discovery, development, and clinical research take advantage of bio-pharmaceutical industry expertise to accelerate the development and testing of prevention methods for HIV and other diseases. Through the Product Development Center, we support external researchers with technical and scientific expertise to accelerate the development of their own products.
Disclaimer: Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities and skills required of personnel so classified. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at-will” relationship. IAVI is an equal opportunity employer and applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
IAVI IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER actively committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive global organization. IAVI believes that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a representative candidate pool. At IAVI, we celebrate the spectrum of colleagues’ experiences and believe that dedication to our mission above all is essential to our success as a scientific global non-profit. IAVI upholds these principles through IAVI’s Global Diversity and Inclusion Committee.
IAVI has zero tolerance for discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, caste, national origin, home language, ancestry, religion, marital or civil partnership status, age, physical or mental disability, HIV status and any other medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, and veteran status, in addition to any other status protected under the law in any of our locations worldwide.
Compensation and Benefits Information for US-Based Candidates:
The annual base salary for this position is targeted at $250,000-310,000 with some variation based on experience level. In addition, this position offers competitive benefits such as annual bonus, generous retirement savings plan, three health insurance plans to choose from, and other benefits.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
Location: New York, NY, United States (hybrid)
Your application has been successfully submitted.