Chief Inclusion, Diversity, & Equity Officer
Share Our Purpose. Be Yourself. Feel Valued.
People are the heart of our business. As an American Water employee, you will be offered a competitive salary and health benefits package, along with opportunities to develop, grow, and evolve your career. Our benefits packages focus on key areas such as health & wellness, emotional & well-being, and savings for current & future goals.
We are Beautifully Different. We strongly believe having diversity across our company makes us more successful and helps us provide essential services to our customers. We are stronger because we embrace different ideas, viewpoints, experiences, and backgrounds. American Water is the best choice for your next role! Click here for more information on our inclusion, diversity, and equity journey.
American Water is the best choice for your next role! With a history dating back to 1886, American Water (NYSE: AWK) is the largest and most geographically diverse U.S. publicly traded water and wastewater utility company. The company employs approximately 6,400 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and regulated-like drinking water and wastewater services to an estimated 14 million people in 24 states. American Water provides safe, clean, affordable, and reliable water services to our customers to help keep their lives flowing. For more information on American Water, visit amwater.com and follow American Water on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
Provides strategic and operational leadership to support a company-wide internal and external ID&E strategy that aligns with American Water’s vision and values. The CIO will be a key driver to support a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment where everyone has a voice and an equal opportunity to make an impact at American Water.
- Collaborates with leaders across the organization to develop and refine ID&E programs and integrate ID&E principals and best practices throughout the organization.
- Partners with executive leadership team and Human Resources Centers of Excellence to develop and implement strategies for recruiting and advancing diverse employees.
- Designs and refines education and communication for employees, managers, or executives detailing the impact of a diverse workforce on business operations.
- Reviews organizational policies and procedures for potential adverse impacts and suggests revisions that are meant to encourage inclusion and promote diversity.
- Partners with established Employee Business Resource Groups (EBRGs) on roll-out of ID&E initiatives and communications. Works closely to develop and expand the Employee Busincess Resource Group (EBRG) influence and areas of focus, and helps create additional EBRGs.
- Works closely with Communications, Investor Relations and ESG team on external initiatives and disclosures related to diversity, inclusion, and equity.
- Utilizes benchmarking and data analysis to drive organizational change and measure results of ID&E initiatives.
- Leads Diversity Council and its mission to create, refine, and promote American Water’s ID&E initiatives.
- Owns the development and delivery of training programs that drive ID&E awareness, understanding and action, ensuring collaboration with business units and key stakeholders.
- Collaborates with Communications to build and manage the communication strategy for promoting and highlighting ID&E programs, supporting brand promotion and evolution.
- Partner with HR leadership team to ensure ID&E principles and processes are embedded into performance management, talent review, succession planning and high-potential identification, as well as total rewards programs and practices.
• In-depth knowledge of ID&E best practices.
• Leadership experience driving cross-functional collaboration and championing change.
• Demonstrable track record of success in leading and driving organizational change and results, building and managing teams of people, facilitating strategic decision making, developing and managing complex projects, managing vendor relationships and complex budgets
• An experienced strategist who is adept at planning, prioritizing, organizing and following through
• Ability to use benchmarking and data metrics to drive organizational change and to drive accountability
• A proven management style that is accessible, flexible, decisive, and inclusive
• A team builder, who inspires staff to work together in pursuit of a common mission and holds them accountable for the accomplishment of objectives
• Ability to negotiate conflict and maintain constructive working relationships with people at all levels within and outside of the organization
• Exceptional oral and written communication skills; and unparalleled critical thinking and problem-solving skills
• Proven ability to analyze data and utilize it to build business cases for new approaches that further ID&E initiatives
• Knowledge of utility industry best practices
- Bachelor's degree required
- 10 years of experience, at least 4 of which include leadership responsibilities
- Ability to develop and mentor others.
- Leadership skills.
- bility to drive strategic direction.
- Oral and written communication skills.
- Persuasive communication skills.
- Ability to influence others and build commitment for diversity goals.
- Interpersonal skills.
Join American Water...We Keep Life Flowing™
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because they are an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.
Location: Camden, NJ, United States (hybrid)
Your application has been successfully submitted.
We Keep Life Flowing