Business Partner, People Operations
Blavity, Inc. is a venture-funded technology and news media company, founded in 2014 around a simple idea: enable Black millennials to tell their own stories. Today, we are home to the largest network of platforms and lifestyle brands serving the multifaceted lives of Black millennials & Gen Z through original content, video, and unique experiences. The company has grown into a market leader for Black media, reaching over 250 million users per month through our growing brand portfolio, including Blavity News, Blavity Politics, 21Ninety, AfroTech, Travel Noire, and Shadow & Act. Assembled of passionate, high-energy, and focused rock-stars, our Blavity, Inc. Team executes our values at the forefront of mind: Love of Community, Transparency and Communication, Collective Responsibility, and Fail Fast. Blavity, Inc. is continuously looking for new team members to help us continue to scale, cultivate our community, and advance our strategic direction.
The People Operations Business Partner serves as a strategic partner to leaders and employees across the company, supporting the goals of the business through the success of its people. The People Operations Business Partner provides subject matter expertise to employees and people leaders in areas including but not limited to employee relations, performance management, career development, disciplinary procedures and staffing strategy. The People Operations Business Partner maintains an effective level of business literacy about the business units’ goals, unique team needs and challenges. The ideal candidate is someone with experience coaching leaders and employees through complex employee relations matters, a keen eye for the details, and a proven ability to exercise good judgment in all aspects of the employee lifecycle. This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities but does serve as a coach and mentor for other positions in the department.
This role will report directly to the Director, People Operations.
- Work closely with management and employees to cultivate effective work relationships, build morale, and increase productivity and retention.
- Manage and resolve complex employee relations issues, including coaching leaders and employees around conflict resolution, conducting internal investigations and managing disciplinary procedures.
- Provide day-to-day performance management guidance to people leaders (e.g., coaching, counseling, career development, PIPs, disciplinary actions) and support Managers in involuntary termination proceedings.
- Conduct ongoing meetings with leaders to assess and provide guidance around unique needs and challenges of the respective business units.
- Analyze trends and metrics in partnership with the People Operations team and people leaders to develop solutions, programs and policies to meet business and team objectives.
- Provide guidance and input on business unit restructures, workforce planning and succession planning.
- Identify training and coaching needs and resources for business units, people leaders and employees.
- Monitor and evaluate training programs to ensure training objectives are met.
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of legal requirements, best practices and trends related to day-to-day management of employees, reducing legal risks and ensuring regulatory compliance. Partner with the legal and/or conduct independent research as needed/required.
- Keeping the Director of People Operations up to date on all Employee Relations issues and seeking guidance or support, as needed.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Education: Required BA or equivalent working experience; Preferred PHR, SPHR, or SHRM-CP
- Required Experience:
- 5+ years in Human Resources or People Operations
- 2+ years experience as a strategic partner, developing solutions for complex organizational, people operations and employee relations issues
- Preferred Experience: Experience with California labor law
- Technologies: Fluent in Microsoft Office, Google Suite, Asana, and/or comparable project management suite; familiarity with Zenefits or other HRIS a plus
- Additional Qualifications:
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Ability to cultivate relationships; outgoing and sociable
- Exercises strong judgment around confidentiality and risk management
- High degree of integrity, accountability, adaptability
- High-energy, company-first, positive attitude; must be motivated to work hard and problem-solve in a fast-paced environment independently; willing to wear multiple hats
- Naturally detail-oriented, with an obsessive need to document and communicate findings
- A healthy appreciation of GIFs and Black culture
- This is a fully remote role.
- Candidates must be flexible to work in alignment with the Pacific Time Zone.
- The salary range for this role is $70,000 - $105,000.
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter online at BlavityInc.com/Careers.
Blavity is committed to creating a diverse environment free of discrimination and harassment, and building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. Blavity is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, HIV Status, veteran status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.
Location: United States (remote)
Your application has been successfully submitted.
The community for Black creativity and news