Chief People Officer
Careers at UnitedHealth Group
We’re creating opportunities in every corner of the health care marketplace to improve lives while we’re building careers. At UnitedHealth Group, we support you with the latest tools, advanced training and the combined strength of high caliber co-workers who share your passion, your energy and your commitment to quality. Join us and start doing your life’s best work.SM
Combine two of the fastest-growing fields on the planet with a culture of performance, collaboration and opportunity and this is what you get. Leading edge technology in an industry that's improving the lives of millions. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about making health care data available wherever and whenever people need it, safely and reliably. There's no room for error. Join us and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
Reporting to the UnitedHealth Group Chief People Officer (CPO), the Optum Chief People Officer will be a strategic and business-oriented people executive who thrives in a highly matrixed, fast paced, results-oriented environment. This individual will be responsible for developing and driving a comprehensive people strategy that is closely aligned and in direct support of the global business and talent objectives of Optum. The Optum CPO must be an exceptional leader who will develop and lead a highly strategic and consumer/member- oriented People organization to proactively support Optum’s on-going high growth, innovation and people needs in a rapidly changing health services market. Working closely with Optum Executive Leadership, the Optum CPO is responsible for all aspects of the people team collaborating through a shared service model including talent acquisition; succession and performance management; leadership development; compensation; engagement; diversity; organization planning and effectiveness. This role will also collaborate closely with the UHG Chief Talent Officer and other members of the UHG People leadership team.
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- This individual will work closely with the Optum executive leadership team as a trusted advisor to help maintain a high performing culture by driving highly strategic and proactive talent acquisition, development and reward programs that are closely aligned to Optum’s overall business and people strategy
- Proactively provide advice, guidance, and leadership to executives on any organizational design, change management and/or people challenges related to growth, acquisitions, or the development of new businesses
- Continue to assess the competitiveness of the Optum total reward strategy to reinforce desired behavior and results for a high performance-driven culture, while also ensuring that top talent is in place, or are being developed, to drive above market business results
- Ensure that the right talent acquisition strategies are in place by developing/enhancing programs/processes to identify, recruit, develop, integrate, and retain top talent across the company
- This individual will be responsible for effective succession/organization workforce planning processes and an understanding of the competitive landscape
- Assess Optum’s training and development requirements to ensure Optum launches measurable and impactful programs with an overall objective of increasing employee engagement and maintaining a highly skilled workforce. All development programs must be linked to the business strategy
- Provide leadership to a sizeable People team. Ensure that the team is business savvy, proactive, responsive and results focused
- This individual will be an active member of the UHG people leadership team and work collaboratively with this team on enterprise initiatives
- Be aware of evolving government influences on management, policies, processes and practices, and work to ensure that the company is in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations concerning employment practices, employee health and safety, employee relations, Works Councils, etc
The Optum CPO will be a broad-based global people leader with strategic insight and proven in-depth experience in establishing and leading an innovative and effective People organization within a complex and fast paced culture. This individual will have a successful track record of working with business leaders to provide people strategies that directly impact their business and talent goals. The CPO will be a change agent, metric driven and results-oriented executive who can also operationalize the people strategy. This individual will be an excellent manager with solid business acumen and will have a sound technical background in all aspects of people. This executive must be proactive and capable of suggesting and effectively implementing alternatives to current people and talent practices, all aligned to Optum’s business strategy and culture.
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Bachelor's Degree in relevant discipline
- 20+ years of experience, with at least five years as a CHRO/CPO or possibly a “ready now” number two People executive of a fast growing multi-billion-dollar company with more than 50,000 employees (Comfortable operating in a people-centric, fast paced culture with multiple sites)
- Demonstrated ability to develop a people vision and strategy based upon Optum’s business strategy
- Experience from a large, global company that created or evolved their markets and required evolving talent to do so
- Hands-on experience leading a people team for a company going through significant change (comfortable working in a changing, global environment where people are held accountable to deliver)
- Proven commanding executive presence with exceptional influencing and business skills
- Exceptionally proven communications skills at all levels of the organization
- Ability to operate effectively in a complex, highly analytical, metric driven and operational environment
- Prior experience building an integrated talent management agenda across a global organization possessing functional expertise in “talent leadership” (recruitment and staffing, training, and leadership development including succession planning), organization design, compensation, employee relations
- Solid M&A due diligence and integration experience as Optum will continue to grow both organically and through acquisitions globally
- Ability to serve as an advisor and confidant to key members of management.
- Ability to challenge management’s point-of-view when appropriate, offering alternative constructive suggestions backed by facts and data
- Ability to champion culture change and lead initiatives to preserve and enhance company culture, values, and operating principles.
- Ability to partner with leaders to lead change initiatives and implement effective change management and communication practices.
- Ability to provide organizational design and effectiveness strategies and recommendations to optimize functional effectiveness.
- Ability to provide innovative solutions to utilize talent and improve organizational performance.
- Solid experience as a leader of teams, assessor of talent, and effective delegator while holding members of the team accountable for results
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation
- Masters in HR/OD or MBA
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies now require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles require full COVID-19 vaccination as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment.
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world's large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug – free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Location: United States (remote)
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Putting you at the center of everything we do