Chief People Officer
Fastly helps people stay better connected with the things they love. Fastly’s edge cloud platform enables customers to create great digital experiences quickly, securely, and reliably by processing, serving, and securing our customers’ applications as close to their end-users as possible — at the edge of the Internet. The platform is designed to take advantage of the modern internet, to be programmable, and to support agile software development. Fastly’s customers include many of the world’s most prominent companies, including Vimeo, Pinterest, The New York Times, and GitHub.
We're building a more trustworthy Internet. Come join us.
Chief People Officer
Fastly is seeking a Chief People Officer (CPO) to oversee the entire human resources strategy for the company and serve as a trusted partner to the CEO and executive team. S/he will lead a Global HR organization of 60+ across all areas of the HR function including compensation and benefits, talent acquisition and retention, employee relations, workforce planning, talent development, culture and engagement, HR systems and operations and policies.
The CPO will be joining Fastly after a successful IPO in May 2019 and at a pivotal moment in their growth trajectory as the company continues to mature. This leader will help the global organization quickly build and fine tune the right level of "infrastructure" to accommodate the 1000+ employees with an eye towards future growth and create a leading culture and employee experience that will attract, motivate and retain the industry’s top talent.
What You'll Do
- As a direct report to the CEO, our CPO will be a member of Fastly's ELT, responsible for leading all of the company's strategy and operations.
- Serve as a strategic partner to the CEO as a confidential advisor on global human capital matters. Operate as a confidant and coach to the executive leadership team.
- Build and lead an operationally strong organization with scalable systems, processes and analytics to measure and constantly improve the People experience. Create an analytical, data-based approach to how the function engages the business, problem-solves and collaborates.
- Translate Fastly’s business strategies into forward-thinking and actionable HR plans. Set near-term priorities to support the business, while simultaneously developing long-term human capital initiatives to enable the sustained growth of the business.
- CPO will be the key leader in defining and building Fastly's culture and employee experience. Leading by inspiration and example to reinforce Fastly’s culture and purpose.
- Sustain a high-performing team that embodies Fastly’s culture in all aspects of their work, internally and externally. Develop leaders who will generate their own followership.
- Provide intellectual leadership and positive disruption to encourage continuous learning, and empathy and growth for the company’s leadership and the HR function.
- Focus on organizational effectiveness in partnership with the CEO and other key leaders to ensure that human capital is fully leveraged to enable business growth.
- Work closely with the board of directors including the Compensation Committee on matters of talent, succession, development and compensation.
- Continue to develop the full pipeline of talent succession across the enterprise, analyzing gaps, and encouraging strategic workforce and long-term leadership planning.
- Continue to drive forward Fastly’s commitment to championing diversity and inclusion; translating this vision into actionable advocacy, partnerships and transparency.
- Personally recruit and retain top talent in a highly competitive market and create a culture of innovation balanced with a pragmatic, day-to-day focus.
What We're Looking For
- Minimum of 15 + years HR leadership experience: Ideally a well-rounded HR professional with years of progressive leadership experience in a rapidly changing, growth-oriented and results-driven technology environment.
- Public Board experience: Experience working with a public board including working closely with a compensation committee on compensation and talent matters more broadly
- Scale: Experience leading an organization with revenues over $500 million and over 1,000 employees.
- Global experience: Track record of leading a global human resource function at a growth-oriented technology company.
- High growth, building experience: Has served in an HR leadership role experiencing fast-paced organic growth. Hands-on HR experience building HR programs, policies, and procedures. Demonstrated success at directly managing dynamic and growing teams
- HR function breadth: Will have worked across the HR function with the ability to drive and oversee each of the HR specialized functional areas.
- Work out of the San Francisco office a couple times a week.
We value a variety of voices, so this is not a laundry list. It would be an added bonus if you have experience in ANY of these:
- The ideal candidate is a creative and effective strategist, has broad business and people interests and knowledge and is curious and can execute ideas. S/he should be inclined to boldly take on issues and challenges, comfortably confront and work through conflict, communicate messages without hesitation and deal promptly and fairly with employee relations issues. S/he should be self-aware, responsive to feedback and adaptable. The winning candidate will thrive in a dynamic environment and is able to work on various projects simultaneously, requiring strong organizational and time management skills.
- S/he should also have demonstrated experience in building trust and credibility with an executive team and employees at large; track record of successful execution of People-related programs and initiatives at high-growth, innovative companies; and a solid understanding of business strategies and priorities with an ability to connect business strategies into relevant people strategies. S/he should be a passionate, thoughtful and clear communicator, and be able to articulate People strategies to the Executive Leadership Team and our employees. The ideal candidate would be equal parts qualitative (soft) people skills and analytical prowess, as HR is a quantitative discipline too.
This role is eligible to participate in Fastly's equity plan. Final offer amount will be at the company’s sole discretion and determined by multiple factors, including years and depth of experience and expertise, location and other business considerations.
Fastly is proud to deliver a strong total rewards program to our employees. This role is eligible to participate in the following benefits:
- Health benefits (medical, dental, and vision)
- Medical: Cigna or Kaiser available
- Retirement benefits and employer match
- Life Insurance (Basic and Voluntary Life)
- Short & Long Term Disability with a buy-up LTD option
- Voluntary Accident & Critical Illness benefits
- Flex Spending Accounts & Mass Transit benefits
- Open Vacation Policy
- Sick Time
- Generous leave benefits (medical, maternity, paternity, and personal)
- Paid wellness days
- Employee Assistance Program
- Learning & reimbursement program stipend
- Mobile and internet allowance
- Wellness stipend
- Pet insurance
Fastly reserves the right to amend or modify for any reasons in accordance with applicable law.
- We have a huge impact. Fastly is a small company with a big reach. Not only do our customers have a tremendous user base, but we also support a growing number of open source projects and initiatives. Outside of code, employees are encouraged to share causes close to their heart with others so we can help lend a supportive hand.
- We love distributed teams. Fastly’s home-base is in San Francisco, but we have multiple offices and employees sprinkled around the globe. In fact, 50% of our employees work outside of SF! An international remote culture is in our DNA.
- We care about you. Fastly works hard to create a positive environment for our employees, and we think your life outside of work is important too. We support our teams with great benefits like up to 20 weeks of paid parental leave, options for free medical/dental/vision plans, and an open vacation program that enables our folks to take the time they need to recharge (some benefits may vary by location).
- We value diversity. Growing and maintaining our inclusive and diverse team matters to us. We are committed to being a company where our employees feel comfortable bringing their authentic selves to work and have the ability to be successful -- every day.
- We are passionate. Fastly is chock full of passionate people and we’re not ‘one size fits all’. Fastly employs authors, pilots, skiers, parents (of humans and animals), makeup geeks, coffee connoisseurs, and more. We love employees for who they are and what they are passionate about.
We’re always looking for humble, sharp, and creative folks to join the Fastly team. If you think you might be a fit, please apply!
Fastly is committed to ensuring equal employment opportunity and to providing employees with a safe and welcoming work environment free of discrimination and harassment.
Employment decisions at Fastly are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, family or parental status, disability*, age, veteran status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Fastly encourages applicants from all backgrounds.
*Applicants with disabilities may be entitled to reasonable accommodation under the terms of the Americans with Disabilities Act and certain state or local laws. A reasonable accommodation is a change in the way things are normally done which will ensure an equal employment opportunity without imposing undue hardship on Fastly. Please inform us if you need assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process.
Location: San Francisco, CA, United States
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Get the speed, security and edge cloud innovation you need to deliver profitable and engaging experiences.