Chief People Officer
Learning Ally is a leading nonprofit education solutions organization that transforms the lives of struggling learners by delivering proven literacy solutions that help students reach their potential. Its mission is to radically change education, transforming the lives of children by providing reading interventions and solutions to help them succeed academically, build self-confidence, and thrive in school and beyond.
65% of fourth graders read below proficiency and are 400% more likely to drop-out of high school. And, for “most at risk” students (students of color, low income, English Language Learners and students with learning disabilities) the problem is even more acute.
Learning Ally seeks to break this cycle. With early student assessment, intervention and accommodation and professional development for educators, Learning Ally can identify and prevent learning issues by working with schools and educators to support new and struggling readers. Our solutions build a strong foundation for independent, engaged learners who are empowered to achieve socially, emotionally, and academically, regardless of background or learning difference.
Founded in 1948 as Recording for the Blind, to help soldiers who lost their sight in combat continue their education with audiobook products, Learning Ally has evolved to help individuals understand the unique ways they learn and match them to the solutions that enable personal achievement.
Today, Learning Ally reaches over 1,600,000 students, 260,000 educators and 21,600 schools across the country and continues to expand its reach. With a continued commitment to supporting students who learn differently, Learning Ally has joined researchers and neuroscientists from renowned institutions including UCSF and MIT, to better understand and address learning issues. You will find that our culture is one that is very committed to our mission, innovation, professional growth, and diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Purpose of this Position:
Provide strategic leadership to the organization, partnering with the CEO and the executive team to lead in developing a growth culture mindset and champion change across the organization. Ensure the right people with the right skills and behaviors are in the right roles, and provide development opportunities for internal and external talent to succeed and positively contribute to innovation, collaboration and growth of the organization.
Lead and oversee all organizational development initiatives and the implementation of human resources policies, programs and services including talent acquisition, talent management, talent development and succession, benefits, payroll, compliance, and employee relations, plus employment practices and procedures, performance management, employee communications and events. Will be actively involved in acquisition and partnership activities to grow the organization.
Provide guidance and support to the National Board of Directors Human Resources Committee.
Primary Position Description:
- Participate fully as a member of the senior leadership team by helping to define and implement plans and strategies to achieve Learning Ally’s mission and goals.
- Lead by example and infuse passion into the culture by reinforcing the LA value system that supports the Learning Ally mission. Drive our DE&I platform, teamwork, cross-functional collaboration, transparency, and camaraderie. Embody the Learning Ally Mission and Values and demand the same from others.
- Partner with and lead the Core Leadership team to build a culture of innovation, collaboration and growth.
- Lead the end-to-end performance management and people development process including alignment and communication of organizational goals, departmental priorities and individual performance expectations.
- Lead the HR team and drive all HR efforts including talent acquisition, on-boarding talent and organization development, succession planning, performance management, employee engagement, employee relations, compensation, benefits, compliance and payroll administration.
- Develop a skilled and effective HR team by providing strong direction, excellent communication and clear accountabilities to and among staff, volunteers, consultants and the community.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive talent development and workforce planning strategy and program that builds sustainably high performing people and teams and builds the Learning Ally brand awareness in the recruitment marketplace as an employer of choice.
- Maintain current knowledge and understanding of regulations, industry trends, current practices, and applicable laws regarding human resources. Continually assess the competitiveness of HR programs and practices against comparable organizations within appropriate financial guidelines.
- Provide staff leadership to the HR Committee of the National Board of Directors by facilitating meetings, developing agendas with the Chair, coordinating staff participation, communicating with members and maintaining records.
- In conjunction with the CFO, plan and recommend an annual HR budget. Manage expenditures and report on budget variances.
- Bachelor’s Degree required; Master’s Degree preferred.
- Minimum of 10-15 years of progressive Human Resources experience
- Demonstrated experience driving transformational culture change
- Experience with start-up / small nimble businesses as well as larger companies a plus
- Minimum of 5-7 years providing leadership and management to a team of professionals
- Excellent leadership, organizational, and managerial skills
- Proven experience in managing developing, coaching and motivating staff
- Ability to foster an environment of positive, inclusive and inspirational teamwork
- Demonstrated results in driving culture change and engagement
Expert experience with:
- Strong OD/OE background with an emphasis on building high performing teams
- Managing compensation & benefits plan design, development and third-party vendors
- Managing corporate and employee communication programs
- Inclusion, diversity and equity programs-community outreach experience is a plus
- Talent acquisition and development
- Highly motivated, innovative, creative and strategic
- Ability to manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong collaboration skills to facilitate group success
- Outstanding problem-solving and critical thinking abilities
- Delivers exceptional internal and external customer service
Learning Ally is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
Location: Princeton, NJ, United States
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Transforming the Lives of Early and Struggling Learners