Chief People Officer
The Chief People Officer (CPO) is a strategic leader and key member of the executive team at Loretto reporting directly to the CEO. The CPO will serve as a thought partner to the CEO and will work in close partnership with the executive team and Human Resources Team to develop and implement a people-centric organization that attracts essential talent and ensures people are highly engaged in the mission and culture of the organization. The CPO will ensure that the human resources philosophy is aligned with the strategy of the organization and fully integrated into all programs and services.
The CPO develops and implements a broad array of programs and services that will drive organizational results, change agility and maximize the potential of its people resources. The CPO is responsible for providing leadership and consultative services in all areas of Human Resources including leadership, coaching, employee engagement and relations, labor relations, talent acquisition, development and retention, culture, compensation, organizational design and change, organizational and performance management, training and development, and diversity, equity and inclusion.
Job duties specific to this position:
- Collaborates directly with the Sr. Leadership teams to lead, manage, influence and shape system wide cultural and organizational change.
- Actively participates in the long-term and short-term strategic planning processes incorporating Human Resources best practices, and collaborating with peers to define appropriate and achievable goals and objective measurements.
- Provides strategic consultation to the executive leadership team to analyze and prioritize business challenges faced by the organization and deploy value added HR initiatives and interventions as needed. Supports business performance, quality, training, talent management and all resident and participant care initiatives.
- Ensures staffing goals are met through Talent Acquisition and Retention efforts.
- Builds professional and personal credibility and trust with the leadership of Loretto, peers, HR Directors, and others throughout the organization. Develops effective relationships and follow through with all key stakeholders.
- Quickly assimilates to the ever-changing healthcare culture and assists others in moving forward in the fast paced, dynamic environment; stays abreast of HR best practices, and develops/ implements at Loretto, in conjunction with sr. leadership peers.
- Acts as a consultant and coach to the senior leadership team to help manage resident and participant needs and the implications regarding key human resources decisions.
- Develops human resources management plans, programs, and initiatives that support organizational goals and strategy.
- Ensures operational excellence, and standardizes HR operations to promote organizational efficiency and effectiveness.
- Takes accountability for effective communication and delivery of human resources activities.
- Provides management oversight to all human resources staff to implement and evaluate programs and plans that result in increased organizational effectiveness and leadership engagement.
- Ensures that appropriate service levels are provided to all business units by the HR team. Participates in or leads organization-wide performance improvement initiatives and oversees all HR activities to support those efforts.
- Creates annual HR goals and objectives to support the annual Strategic Business Plan; will present to Board of Directors and/or Compensation Committee throughout the year as appropriate.
- Acts with other sr. leaders to, develop and communicate performance metrics associated with annual Strategic Plan to ensure organization-wide understanding and “buy-in” for initiatives related to performance, salary and overtime costs, attrition, hiring, vacancy, employee engagement, and other HR KPIs.
- Acts as a change agent and promotes innovation and continuous improvement throughout HR and the organization.
- Analyzes situations and issues, recognizes strategic implications, and applies both specialized expertise and a broader HR knowledge framework to define problems, priorities, and desired outcomes.
- Directs and coordinates the HR Directors and their activities across all entities within the organization and acts as a role model for the Directors and their teams.
- Clearly identifies priorities for the HR department and ensures sufficient resources are available to complete work efficiently and effectively; develops annual budget and manages compliance for same.
- Defines the strategy, programs, policies and practices in the area of labor and employee relations that promote a productive and engaging work environment; develops and maintains a collaborative relationship with key members of SEIU to ensure optimal operations and employee experience.
- Ensures compensation and benefits programs are competitive, appropriately benchmarked and support attraction/ retention of staff; actively engages with Compensation committee on management of CEO salary and Management Bonus Plan
- Responsible for labor relations including strategic planning for contract negotiations, providing oversight and guidance with respect to the resolution of grievances, complex employment issues, and legal claims.
- Is responsible for building and strengthening positive and collaborative working relationships with union management and delegates.
- Ensures consistent performance and disciplinary standards are enforced across areas of responsibility and throughout the organization.
- Leads, enhances and evaluates the compensation and benefits strategy, planning, reporting and the implementation of programs, adjustments, and market analysis. Presents information on market competitiveness and costs to Senior Leadership and Compensation Committees. Evaluates strategies and plans for market competitiveness and costs. Holds responsibility for fair pay practices.
- Responsible for efficient and effective processes and systems that execute payroll, and HRIS data management.
- Develops and promotes health safety management and employee wellness programs. Oversees the processes that administer workers’ compensation, employee leave of absences and return to work coordination.
- Ensures effective and efficient departmental policies, processes, and practices. Responsible for keeping all Human Resources policies up to date.
- Ensures HR compliance with all federal, state, and local legislation relating to compensation, benefits, employment practices, and similar aspects of human resource management.
- Broadly accountable for providing an overall environment that is safe, secure, pleasing and responsive to the needs of our residents, participants and staff by continually assessing the environment and providing the appropriate level of HR resources to respond to issues and concerns.
- As a corporate citizen, promotes the common well-being of the organization by encouraging recognition and behaviors, and by being a role model in support of the organization's mission, vision and values.
- Reviews and assesses the HR departmental structure, current team and resources. Develops strategic plans for these functions which enable them to deliver excellent customer service to the organization.
- Ensures HR department is appropriately staffed, and creates goals and development plans to motivate staff and ensure skills are current. Promotes collaborative working environment within HR, and between HR staff and other functions.
- Recognized as the in-house expert or lead person for the HR function. Keeps current in the field of human resources, labor relations, compensation and benefit trends, and labor laws.
- Demonstrates effective leadership skills of delegation, organization, and coordination in managing the daily operations of the Human Resources function, including performance management, scheduling, transfers, promotions, salary changes, disciplinary actions, training. Makes or approves recommendations on employee transfers, promotions, salary changes, disciplinary actions, terminations, and similar actions. Resolves grievances and other personnel problems in a fair, timely and consistent manner.
- Uses open communication and critical thinking skills during conflict resolution, problem solving, decision-making, coaching and other complex dialogues.
- Facilitates and promotes employee growth and development.
- Leads and participates in meetings, improvement projects and task forces as appropriate.
- Master’s Degree in Human Resources, Health Administration, Business or other related field required. SPHR, SHRM-SCP or other advanced certification desired.
- A minimum of 10 years of progressive human resources experience and five years management experience including:
- Proven success developing strong relationships with Senior Leadership to collaborate on operational initiatives and improvements.
- Proven success building and maintaining positive working relationships with senior management, employees, managers, executives, board members and other stakeholders.
- Successful development and implementation of progressive initiatives in compensation and benefits, recruitment and retention, employee relations, training and development, performance management and other operational improvements.
- Extensive experience in an SEIU environment
- Significant experience with Human Resources Information Systems, and payroll, and systems implementation challenges.
- Proven knowledge of HR concepts, laws, regulation and practices.
- 5 years experience in a multi-unit healthcare organization preferred.
- Knowledge of federal and state employment laws and regulations.
- Knowledge of human resources processes, procedures, and practices, as applicable to a 24/7 services organization.
- Skilled at implementing new policies and strategies.
- Proven ability to research, “market” & implement broad-based organizational change
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic environment and deal with ambiguity.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously with a strong results orientation.
- Effective negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
- Proficient in MS Office, applicant tracking systems, HRIS, and able to learn new software rapidly.
An equivalent combination of education and experience which provides proficiency in the areas of responsibility listed above may be substituted for the above education and experience requirements.
- Excellent medical, dental, prescription and vision insurance
- Disability coverage
- Tuition Reimbursement Program
- 401(k) Retirement/Pension Plans
- Discounted Gym Membership
- Free Loretto Health Clinic Visits
- Generous Paid Time-Off Accrual
- Fun events for employees
- Convenient locations with free parking
- Employee Coaches - to help you achieve life goals
- Diaper Assistance Program
- Opportunity for career growth and movement within 19 sites!
Location: 700 E. Brighton Avenue, Syracuse, NY 13205, United States
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Caring for you like family