Learning & Development Manager
Kids in Need of Defense (KIND) is a global leader in the protection of unaccompanied refugee and migrant children. Launched in 2008, KIND champions a world in which every child’s rights and well-being are protected throughout their journey to safety. Since 2008, KIND has accepted over 23,000 referrals of children seeking legal representation in their immigration proceedings. KIND has welcomed more than 41,000 attendees to trainings since its founding, cultivating partnerships with over 700 law firms, corporate legal departments, law schools, and bar associations across the country.
KIND’s social services program ensures that migrant and refugee children – who have often endured trauma – receive counseling, educational support, medical care, and other comprehensive services.
To address the root causes of child migration from Central America and strengthen the protection of unaccompanied children, KIND advocates for policy changes and educates lawmakers, the media, and the broader public on the conditions that drive these children to flee their home countries. KIND supports children returning to their home countries by connecting them to essential support services and sponsors gender-based violence prevention programs in Central America to protect children in countries of origin and transit.
KIND is also building upon its expertise in the protection of unaccompanied children to encourage the development of pro bono initiatives across Europe in partnership with European NGOs.
KIND seeks an experienced Learning and Development (L&D) Manager to manage a team designing and delivering learning programs across a wide range of curricula including onboarding, skills development, people management, and compliance. The position manages a team of three L&D professionals located in Central America and Europe, and reports to the Director of Learning & Development.
This a headquarters position based remotely from any location in the U.S.
- Manages a program of work that includes virtual training, e-Learning, and other forms of L&D across a wide range of curricula.
- Aligns L&D programs to KIND strategy, priorities and principles, and ensures that content is delivered on-time and delivers the impact needed by the organization.
- Identifies individual learning initiatives to facilitate employee development; ensures leadership development curriculum meets the current and future needs of the organization.
- Owns the development of high-profile new curricula working closely with key stakeholders across the organization.
- Implements project/program management covering project conception and initiation, planning, execution, performance/monitoring, and project close.
- Ensures that KIND employees have easy access to the L&D information they need to do their work and to grow.
- A key player in decisions on L&D tools (Authorware, LMS, etc), and manages the implementation and ongoing administration of those tools.
- Represents L&D in meetings across KIND and at all levels.
- Evaluates L&D programs to demonstrate usage and impact.
- Develops and tracks L&D spending for budget; negotiates contracts; and manages tracking them.
- Works on training strategies, coaching, mentoring, career development and beyond.
- Manages, coaches and mentors the L&D team.
Qualifications And Requirements
- Undergraduate degree in business, education, or communications. Graduate degree or HR certification preferred.
- Minimum of 6 years of experience in L&D or talent development, ideally in an organization working across multiple locations in multiple countries.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience managing L&D professionals. Management of remote employees across time-zones preferred.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience working closely with stakeholders at all levels of an organization and representing L&D in decision-making meetings.
- Deep experience of creating L&D content, ideally using tools like Articulate Storyline, Rise, Camtasia, or Captivate.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English (and Spanish).
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suites (such as Teams, Excel, etc.).
- Ability to work collaboratively and multi-task in our KIND environment, managing numerous priorities and emerging opportunities.
- Excellent organizational skills with ability to work on multiple projects in a deadline-oriented environment. Ability to prioritize tasks and to delegate as appropriate.
- Ability to work effectively with people of diverse backgrounds, lived experiences, and communication styles.
- Committed to prioritizing diversity, equity, and inclusion as well as embracing transparency and authenticity in daily work life.
- Be disciplined and nimble to ensure delivery on our core mission of access to justice and protection of children’s wellbeing and rights.
- Showing the ability to multi-task and work with a sense of urgency in a dynamic, fast paced environment.
- Committed to practicing and supporting wellbeing and a work-home life balance.
- Experience working and communicating in a remote environment.
Salary Range: $64,000 - $80,000 dependent on experience
KIND requires all U.S. based staff be COVID vaccinated with the exception of those who have medical or religious beliefs exemptions.
Please be advised that an employment application will need to be submitted along with your resume and cover letter, in order to be considered for the desired role.
KIND has an organization-wide commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. We strive to create a work environment where everyone has a sense of belonging. Individuals from historically underrepresented or underserved communities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Disclaimer: KIND is committed to an ethical recruitment and hiring process and maintains a firm “no fees” recruitment policy. We will never charge a fee or ask for money as part of the application process. KIND also conducts all interviews via telephone or video conference, and at no time will KIND engage in a text or mobile app-based application or interview process. For more information, please visit the following website: https://supportkind.org/join-the-team/kind-employment-practices/ .
Location: United States (Remote)
We advocate for children's rights to ensure legal representation and protection through our advocacy and solutions.