Payroll and Benefits Manager
Common is a global residential manager making city living easier for renters through the thoughtful use of technology and design. Common delivers exceptional experiences for thousands of residents across coliving, microunits, and traditional apartments. Founded in 2015, they are the preferred choice for residents looking for stress-free city living from a trusted brand, and for real estate owners seeking reliable, above-market returns.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Common’s team. Habyt, the biggest co-living operator in Europe and Asia, and Common, the largest co-living operator in North America, joined forces at the beginning of 2023 to create the leading global co-living company. The combined entity brings to life a next generation of living concepts operating worldwide. With locations in over 40 cities and 14 countries, across three continents, the combined entity will operate over 30,000 units that vary from co-living, studios and traditional rental apartments.
To follow the latest Common news, get to know our community of residents, and learn about what it’s like to work at Common, you can follow us on Instagram, Linkedin, and Twitter. To see more open roles and hear from Common employees check out our Careers Page.
About the Role
The Payroll & Benefits Manager will work closely with other members of the People Operations team to handle the complex needs of the employee population. This role will have a focus on payroll, benefits administration, time off policies, compliance, and HRIS support. The Payroll & Benefits Manager will ensure compliance with IRS, DOL, federal, state, and local regulations with a focus on timeliness and accuracy. They will also share the responsibility of managing FMLA, STD, and other leaves of absence.
This a remote opportunity available for those residing in New York, Illinois, Georgia, Alabama, Florida, Texas or California only.
- Work with the People Operations Coordinator on the onboarding and offboarding processes to ensure compliance with state and federal regulations.
- Be the main point of contact and a trusted resource for current and past employees for all questions related to HRIS access, benefits, time off, and payroll
- Manage and action all agency notices such as wage garnishment orders and tax levies with attention to detail and timeliness.
- Follow all processes to accurately complete all weekly & biweekly payrolls. Paying special attention to include any reported bonuses/commissions, salary adjustments, promotions, scheduled earnings and deductions, paid leaves, final checks and other payroll changes. Process off-cycle payrolls as needed
- Provide reporting as needed to support Finance, legal and other departments
- Maintain the HRIS with any employee changes, reporting changes, configuration changes, new location set up, new job set up, etc.
- Act as subject matter expert with regard to all aspects of the HRIS and payroll system functionality, policies and procedures
- Be the main point of contact with our broker and work with them to resolve any benefit issues that affect employee coverage
- Process new enrollments and qualified life event changes to benefits
- Manage and resolve all file integration issues with benefit carriers
- Reconcile all monthly benefit invoices for accuracy
- Maintain a knowledge of changing wage & labor regulations, trends, and best practices and share information as needed with internal and external teams.
- Make recommendations on policy and procedural changes based on experience and knowledge
- Take the lead on Open Enrollment coordination with our broker to ensure proper timing.
- Manage communications and rollout of Open Enrollment and maintain involvement through the entire process
- Take ownership of compiling and filing all required government compliance reporting including ACA, EEO-1, CA Pay data reporting, Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Multi worksite reporting and any others that might apply based on local, state and federal regulations.
- Manage leaves including FMLA, STD and others
- Partner with POBP on biweekly new hire orientation meetings aka Common Knowledge
- Assist People Operations with additional projects and responsibilities on an as-needed basis
- Other ad hoc projects from time to time
- 3+ years in an HR/People Ops role that included payroll and benefits responsibilities
- Highly organized, meticulous about detail and accuracy
- Resourceful problem solver and who can adjust to a fast-paced and ever-changing environment.
- Team player with a “can-do” attitude.
- BA/BS Degree desired
- Knowledge of US labor and payroll law, tax and compliance, federal and state regulations, and filing and compliance requirements
- Knowledge of California wage and labor laws
- Experience in FMLA and leave management
- Ability to maintain a high level of judgment and discretion in handling confidential information
- Highly motivated with strong time management and organizational skills
- Previous experience with UKG and BambooHR a plus
$60,000-$75,000 annually based on experience
What We Offer
Common truly values our employees and wants to do everything to ensure that our employees are not only happy and professionally fulfilled, but also that they have the opportunity to be healthy. Because of this, we are committed to providing a number of affordable and valuable health and wellness benefits for our employees such as:
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- FSA + HSA options
- Company-paid life insurance
- Company-paid STD/LTD
- Paid parental leave
- 401k plans
Additional benefits such as paid holidays, commuter transit benefits, job training + development opportunities + a great wellness program are also available. And as always, we are regularly evaluating our offerings to ensure employees' needs are being met.
Common is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances.
Location: United States (Remote)
The largest community-driven residential operator in the US. Making city living easier.